- Prosecutors had obtained 381 warrants seeking users’ online postings to build a massive disabilities benefits fraud case
- But Facebook argued it could legally stop the gathering of the information
- Appeal court has now told social media giant it must comply with demand
- Ruling centered on questions about when a warrant can be challenged
Facebook has been told it must comply with almost 400 search warrants seeking users’ postings as part of a fraud investigation, a New York appeals court said on Tuesday.
The 381 warrants helped build a massive disabilities benefits fraud case against police and fire department retirees. So far 108 people have pleaded guilty.
Some defendants disclosed on Facebook that they flew helicopters, traveled overseas, did martial arts and led active, full lives.
The state Supreme Court Appellate Division ruling won’t put any new information in prosecutors’ hands however as Facebook had already handed over the data – and had later appealed.
Judges said they understood the social network’s unease about prosecutors’ extensive request to access user data.
The case has been closely followed by social-media companies, commentators, civil libertarians and prosecutors. Facebook said it was weighing its options for continuing the fight.
‘We continue to believe that overly broad search warrants – granting the government the ability to keep hundreds of people’s account information indefinitely – are unconstitutional and raise important concerns about the privacy of people’s online information,’ it said in a statement.
The Manhattan district attorney’s office, meanwhile, noted the unanimous decision from the Appellate Division’s First Department about the warrants, which a lower-court judge had approved at the outset.
‘In many cases, evidence on their Facebook accounts directly contradicted the lies the defendants told to the Social Security Administration’ about being too psychologically devastated to work, district attorney’s office spokeswoman Joan Vollero said on Tuesday.
The ruling centered on procedural questions about when a search warrant can be challenged.
The court said Facebook wrongly argued it could legally stop prosecutors from gathering the information, as opposed to defendants arguing for keeping it out of court afterward.
‘Our holding today does not mean that we do not appreciate Facebook’s concerns about the scope of the bulk warrants issued here or about the district attorney’s alleged right to indefinitely retain the seized accounts of the uncharged Facebook users,’ the five-judge panel wrote.
Facebook can contain more intimate personal information than someone’s home, the judges noted, and only 62 of the people targeted in the 381 warrants have been charged.
Prosecutors have said that they gave the initial judge 93 pages of details on why all 381 accounts were targeted and that they were narrowed from an investigation that spanned 1,000 people.
A Manhattan judge sanctioned the warrants in July 2013, saying law enforcement has authority to search massive amounts of material to seek evidence.
Facebook said prosecutors cast too wide a net. Google, Twitter and other online players joined the case on Facebook’s side, as did the American and New York civil liberties union (NYCLU).
NYCLU staff attorney Mariko Hirose said the group was disappointed that Tuesday’s ruling didn’t address the privacy issues in the case more directly.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3173222/Facebook-posts-used-prosecute-benefit-cheats-New-York-test-case-Ruling-forces-social-network-comply-warrants-angering-privacy-campaigners.html#ixzz3guZLSVpz
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook